DISTRICT/BONIFAY K-8 STUDENT DRESS AND APPEARANCE
Each student is responsible for his/her own appropriate dress which shows respect for self and
others and helps to create an orderly learning environment. The word “appropriate” shall be
defined to include cleanliness, safety, modesty and good taste. Inappropriate dress and actions
disrupt the learning process and creates chaos.
To avoid distractions and to promote the health and safety of all students, the following
restrictions shall be in effect:
1. Dresses, skirts, shorts and skorts must be mid-thigh or longer.
2. Clothes bearing suggestive slogans or advertising alcoholic beverages and/or tobacco
shall not be worn.
3. Saggy pants, baggy clothes, extremely tight clothes, clothes that expose the midriff are
prohibited. Tops must be capable of being tucked in when sitting and must be shoulder
width. Students may not wear clothing that reveals undergarments, the midriff, or
cleavage. Blouses or shirts that are low-cut or see through may not be worn.
4. Body piercing jewelry may only be worn in the ears.
5. Personal appearance or attire that interferes with or distracts from the instructional
program or that creates a health hazard is not acceptable.
Examples of inappropriate clothing include but are not limited to the following: tube or
tank tops, spaghetti straps, without overblouses or shirts, halter tops, backless dresses,
muscle shirts, pajamas, spandex leggings worn as pants, undergarments as outer
Additional points of emphasis include:
1. The practice of wearing jeans or any other clothing with holes (openings revealing skin)
in them above the knee will not be permitted.
2. The wearing of a blouse that exposes a student’s cleavage is inappropriate for the
3. The practice of wearing pajamas and household slippers will not be permitted.
4. Tattoos and/or body art that is lewd, related to gang activity, or other offensive words orsymbols must be covered at all times.